Using Mathematics Using Mathematics describes the confidence and ability to apply mathematical skills in a range of meaningful contexts. Standards of pupil competency in Mathematics and Numeracy are assessed through the cross-curricular skill of Using Mathematics.
Across the curriculum, at a level appropriate to their ability, pupils should be enabled to:
- choose the appropriate materials, equipment and mathematics to use in a particular situation;
- use mathematical knowledge and concepts accurately;
- work systematically and check their work;
- use mathematics to solve problems and make decisions;
- develop methods and strategies, including mental mathematics;
- explore ideas, make and test predictions and think creatively;
- identify and collect information;
- read, interpret, organise and present information in mathematical formats;
- use mathematical understanding and language to ask and answer questions, talk about and discuss ideas and explain ways of working;
- develop financial capability;
- use ICT to solve problems and/or present their work.